Alumni create game accessory for Orange fans

Although orange seems to be the only color in the Carrier Dome at Syracuse University sporting events, Dave Jacobs and Lawrence Moten have invented a product to make the stands even brighter — all while showcasing the rambunctious spirit of Syracuse sports fans and supporting local charities.

Jacobs and Moten, both SU alumni and former athletes, created the Loud Towel, the newest way for Syracuse sports fans show their orange pride and give back to the community.

In the center of the bright orange towel is a large, bold, dark blue ‘S,’ with the words ‘Loud Towel’ written across. Underneath the ‘S’ is the word ‘UNITY,’ which Jacobs said is to represent the collaboration between the SU and the Syracuse community.

‘We want to elevate the community through unity,’ Jacobs said. ‘Great things happen when you put together the greatest fans in the country.’

‘LM2334’ and ‘DJ1′ are also printed on the towels. The first represents Moten’s initials and the number of points he scored as an SU basketball guard and forward, the most ever scored by a single player. The latter includes Jacobs’ initials and the number one because it was his number while he was a kicker for the SU football team from 1975-78, he said.

There are also three charities’ logos printed on the towel. The charities include the Burton Blatt Institute, the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation, and Say Yes to Education.

The Loud Towel costs $7.99 and can be purchased at Shirt World on Marshall Street, the SU Bookstore and in the Dome.

The Dome has already sold several hundred Loud Towels, said Gale Youmell, the divisional merchandise manager at the SU Bookstore in the Schine Student Center. She said the towels have been reordered to sell at Saturday’s home game against West Virginia.

‘What makes it special is that it’s not just another fan item. What’s built into it is that some of the sale goes to these three great charities that the university works closely with,’ Youmell said.

Jacobs credits the success of the Loud Towel to the Syracuse fans and their dedication to SU’s sports programs. As a former player, he said this is very meaningful.

‘Playing a sport is visual, mental and emotional,’ Jacobs said. ‘No matter where they are, when a players sees support, they’re always home.’