University of Hong Kong professor to serve as new associate dean of School of Architecture

UPDATED: June 16, 2012, 11:47 a.m.

Jonathan Solomon, American architect and professor at the University of Hong Kong, has been hired as new associate dean of the School of Architecture. He will begin July 1.

Solomon’s role will be to assist in the development and implementation of the school’s academic vision, according to a June 14 SU News release. He will also create new academic initiatives to help integrate the research, teaching and programs happening at the school.

‘I am very pleased to join the team at the School of Architecture at Syracuse,’ said Solomon in an email. ‘It’s exciting to be welcomed into a program so rich in opportunities. The school’s engagement in the local community and it’s established programs abroad create a uniquely dynamic context for the study of architecture in an increasingly networked world.’

Mark Robbins, who has been the dean of the School of Architecture since 2004, will step down July 1 to fill the position of executive director of the International Center of Photography in Manhattan. In May, Syracuse University appointed associate dean Randall Korman as interim dean-designate of the school.

Korman, the current associate dean, said he thinks Solomon will bring an impressive amount of experience as an architect, teacher, writer and scholar. He added that Solomon’s role as acting head of Hong Kong University’s architecture department is particularly notable.

‘Professor Solomon’s familiarity with China and Asia are assets that will serve well the School’s interest in expanding our international programming to this part of the world,’ Korman said in an email. ‘His experience as a writer and editor present opportunities for him to make contributions to the School’s publication activities.’

At the University of Hong Kong, Solomon teaches design studios and lectures on urban form, as well as seminars on climate and public space in Asia. For the last three years, he has been the acting head of the school’s architecture department, initiating new programs and hiring staff, according to his personal website.

He has exhibited his work all over the world, published several studies and taught at both the City College of New York and the University of Buffalo. He received his bachelor of arts in urban studies from Columbia University and his master of architecture from Princeton University.

Vice Chancellor and Provost Eric Spina said he thinks Solomon will make a great addition to the school and surrounding community, and will be key in working with Korman and faculty to move the school forward.

‘He has a breadth of experience in a number of high-quality institution, and brings particularly valuable international experience to SU,’ Spina said in an email.  ‘In the interview process, I found him to be particularly excited about the vision and directions of the school and the university.’