Ice Hockey

Syracuse displays focus in wins over Penn State

Syracuse exited the locker room Saturday for its game against Penn State intensely screaming and displaying a pumped-up attitude that would lead them to a much-needed quick start.

After Friday’s lackluster 1-0 win against Penn State, the Orange knew it needed to come out more mentally prepared for Saturday’s game.

“The team had a little conversation last night,” SU head coach Paul Flanagan said. “They had a little better focus before they left the rink last night. We had video and team meeting this morning and re-affirmed the things we needed to do better. The kids did a great job.”

The team’s focus was clear as soon as the puck dropped. Syracuse began attacking early, looking to erase the memories of the struggles from the night before. The Orange dominated the first period with three goals en route to a bounce-back 4-1 victory over its College Hockey America opponent – a stark contrast to the night before.

Three minutes in, Holly Carrie-Mattimoe was able to get a clean shot on net that was barely blocked, but teammate Nicole Ferrara was able to grab the rebound near the net and put the puck through for the team’s first goal just 3:04 into the match.

“We had a talk early this morning about how we had to come out more focused,” Carrie-Mattimoe said. “The music was shut off a little bit sooner to ice time than usual so we started talking about the game and got our focus bearings on.”

The team’s focus was unrelenting in the first period. Soon after Ferrara’s goal, Kaillie Goodnough buried a long-range shot to give SU a quick 2-0 lead. When the team got a power play a few minutes later, Jacquie Greco was able to put in a mid-range shot at 11:29 to give the Orange a comfortable lead in the match.

“Everyone knew, we knew, we had to come out stronger this game,” Greco said. “We knew we had to play better against a team like this. Everyone was on the same page today, and I think it showed in today’s game.”

On Friday, Syracuse played loose and unfocused on the ice. Despite 46 shot attempts in the game, SU came away with just one goal, as not many of those attempts were clean or close to going in the net.

Flanagan said the difference between Friday and Saturday’s game was the team’s mental focus.

“It was just all upstairs. How are our kids mentally prepared,” Flanagan said. “I thought our leaders did a good job in the locker room, and then it’s up to the rest of the kids to follow suit. That’s the whole difference. It’s all between the ears.”

Carrie-Mattimoe echoed similar sentiments, saying the team wasn’t as focused on Friday as it needed to be.

“Yesterday we took the team a little lightly and we were joking around a little bit more,” Carrie-Mattimoe said. “Today we knew what we had to do.”

On Saturday, goaltender Jenesica Drinkwater got the start in goal over Kallie Billadeau, who had started the day prior.

The goaltender delivered a strong game to follow up Billadeau’s shutout the night before, allowing only one score on 15 shots. But after the game, Drinkwater credited Syracuse’s energy as the difference-maker on Saturday. The Orange came out strong and finished the weekend on a high note.

“Our coach gave us a little bit of a talk and said we need to come out with a lot more energy,” Drinkwater said. “I think we just came together as a team and really brought that energy out in the first period. It was huge. We needed it because it was too close of a game for comfort yesterday and I don’t think it should have been.”