Juice Jam 2014

That’s my jam: Sold-out Juice Jam balances indie and mainstream artists

For a day that began with cloudy skies, Juice Jam 2014 ended up looking bright.

This year’s Juice Jam reprised the two-stage festival format debuted by University Union last year. The indie stage next to the main stage allowed for two venues to host alternating performances.

MisterWives kicked off Juice Jam with their single “Vagabonds.” Mandy Lee, the band’s lead singer, took center stage with a tambourine in hand, demonstrating her vocal range and jumping in tune to the song’s steady tempo.

The chemistry among the band members was undeniable and made for a great set.

“We just vibed on every single level. It’s just us being friends and wanting to play music for people,” Lee said.
3

The group’s different sound was also due in part to the presence of brass instruments, featuring solos on the trumpet and saxophone. Sophomore television, radio and film major Olivia Monko said that she witnessed the future of music in MisterWives.

“Her voice is just so original, and bringing in those brass instruments created such a unique wall of sound,” Monko said.

Moments after MisterWives finished, Tinashe made her entrance and danced her way onto the main stage, accompanied by her DJ, drummer and two backup dancers. Those sitting down or just arriving at the festival flocked to the area, with one student screaming, “She’s so hot. I wish I was her.”

After her first song, the R&B singer asked, “So how many boss ass b*tches do we have in the house today, Syracuse?” and received a loud cheer in response.

4

Broods, a sibling music duo, and rapper Ace Hood were the other two acts that played on the indie stage. Broods’ lead singer Georgia Nott addressed their New Zealand roots before starting their performance, which included their indie pop songs “Bridges,” “Mothers & Fathers” and “Coattails,” and caused a few fans to scream “We love New Zealand,” between songs.

Ace Hood undoubtedly drew the largest crowd to the indie stage. The rapper, wearing bright orange sneakers, opened with “Hustle Hard.” This hit single began a succession of songs that almost all ended with the sound of breaking glass or a loud horn.

“Everybody turn up!” the rapper said, taking off his shirt and throwing it into the crowd. “Syracuse, I f*cking love you.”

It wasn’t until his final song, “Bugatti,” that the crowd was at its most energetic state. Half the crowd whipped out their phones, and even more bystanders approached the stage to watch Ace Hood close his set.

Electronic dance music artist 3LAU’s performance on the main stage began with him standing on the platform and pumping the air with his fist. The screens that earlier broadcasted the performers to students standing in the massive crowd now showed kaleidoscopic graphics and shots of the crowd.

8

3LAU introduced his “video guy,” who was wearing an orange beanie and filming shots of the crowd.

“Rory and I are making your No. 1 video,” 3LAU said. “We need to let the whole world know that no one goes harder than ‘Cuse, so show that pride!”

During his set, 3LAU played original songs such as “Vikings,” but his remixes of classic hits like Clean Bandit’s “Rather Be” and Eiffel 65’s “Blue (Da Ba Dee)” were more popular amongst raving concertgoers.

Rapper Schoolboy Q took the main stage and attracted one of the biggest crowds of the day. He played off the crowd’s energy and at times refrained from singing in order to let his fans sing his lyrics back to him.

After the first few songs, Tinashe joined Schoolboy Q on stage and performed her hit, “2 On,” with him, attracting more students who were lounging on the grass.

At the end of his set, Schoolboy Q threw his bucket hat into the crowd and thanked his fans for all of their support.

“You pay for my rent, you pay for my clothes, but most of all, you pay for my daughter to go to school every month,” he said. “My happiness is your happiness.”

Even more students swarmed the main stage when Dillon Francis, the headlining act, finally came on. His songs transitioned into each other seamlessly and made for a continuous set, but the crowd had no problem keeping up with Francis’ mixes.

9

Wearing a white Syracuse shirt, Francis played through his set with his hit songs like “Get Low” and “I Can’t Take It” as UU staff threw white and orange beach balls into the crowd. Some of Francis’ remixes included “Summer” by Calvin Harris and “Wannabe” by Spice Girls, before he closed with a succession of beats and bass drops.

“Syracuse, I love you all,” Francis said, as he walked off the stage.

The crowd dispersed just as quickly as it assembled. Within minutes of Francis’ last remarks, all that was left of Skytop Field were empty water bottles.

UU co-director of public relations Max Lefkowitz said the event has been progressing and building over the past decade, especially with the addition of the second stage last year.

“Every year try to do something newer and bigger — we added an extra artist this year,” Lefkowitz said. “The spirit of this festival is continuing to grow and I’m glad we’re able to do that every year.”