SU athletics

Syracuse University announces members for search committee for its next director of athletics

The next director of athletics for Syracuse University is expected to be in place by the start of the 2015-16 academic year, the university announced Monday.

A nine-member search committee has been formally established by Chancellor Kent Syverud, and includes students, faculty and staff members and members of the Board of Trustees. The committee will be chaired by Steve Ballentine, a university trustee, and includes interim athletics director Pete Sala, according to an SU News release.

The search committee members and their current roles with the university are:

• Steve Ballentine, Chair of Search Committee, University Trustee
  • Rick Burton, Professor of Sport Management in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics and Faculty Athletics Representative
  • Veronica Dyer, Strength and Conditioning Coach for Olympic Sports
  • James Kuhn, University Trustee and Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees
  • Robert Miron, University Trustee and Chair of the Board of Trustees’ Athletics Committee
  • LaVonda Reed, Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs and Professor of Law
  • Sam Rodgers, Class of 2015, David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, football student-athlete
  • Pete Sala, Interim Athletics Director and Managing Director, Carrier Dome
  • Barry Wells, Special Assistant to the Chancellor

The committee convened last week, and will present at least two final candidates for the chancellor to review, according to the release. The new athletics director is expected to be in place by the start of the next academic year to replace Daryl Gross, who stepped down as director of athletics March 18.

In addition, the university has retained Glenn Sugiyama and Pat Richter, leaders of the DHR International Sports Practice Group search firm, to consult during the search, according to the release.

“This is a key moment for Syracuse University to recruit an outstanding Director of Athletics who will continue to promote core values for our student athletes and all who work at and support our University,” Syverud said in the release.