New rule grants Syracuse transfers playing time, 3 touchdowns in Camping World Bowl

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Abdul Adams carried the ball eight times for 19 yards and two touchdowns in his first game with Syracuse.

ORLANDO, Fla.— Syracuse wide receiver Trishton Jackson reached for a ball thrown to his back shoulder in the corner of the end zone. He reeled in the catch while fighting off a West Virginia defender for a touchdown that granted Syracuse a lead it wouldn’t relinquish in a 34-18 victory on Friday night.

It was a brief flash of the Michigan State transfer’s talents that Syracuse fans thought they’d have to wait eight more months to see.

In June, the NCAA announced a rule change regarding its redshirt policy. The new rules stated that players could participate in up to four games while still claiming a “redshirt season,” therefore saving a year of eligibility. Some originally viewed it as a way to involve younger players in blowout wins. Then it turned into a way for players to transfer once they lost a starting job, like former Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant. In the Camping World Bowl, the new rule change granted No. 20 Syracuse (10-3, 6-2 Atlantic Coast) a sneak peek at a bright future with Jackson at receiver and Oklahoma transfer Abdul Adams (two touchdowns) at running back.

More Coverage

“This change promotes not only fairness for college athletes, but also their health and well-being. Redshirt football student-athletes are more likely to remain engaged with the team, and starters will be less likely to feel pressure to play through injuries,” said NCAA Division I Council Chair Blake James in June. “Coaches will appreciate the additional flexibility and ability to give younger players an opportunity to participate in limited competition.”

WVU also benefited from the rule as they suited up freshman quarterback Trevor Lowe III, who hadn’t taken a snap in a game this season.

Unlike West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen, who was open about utilizing the rule change to provide players the experience, Syracuse head coach Dino Babers was less direct. He mentioned not wanting to cheat the players who had played all season and how hard it would be for the new players to work up to full speed.

When Adams’ first heard of the possibility that he could play in a bowl game, he didn’t believe it. But both Adams and Jackson transferred to SU for the spring semester, making the end of the fall 2018 semester the completion of a “year of residency,” which is required by the NCAA. This made the players eligible for the game, and the redshirt rule allowed the game to not waste a year of eligibility.

The potential of playing in Syracuse’s first bowl game since 2013 became a reality for Jackson after the Boston College game, he said. But Babers didn’t tell Jackson or Adams whether or not they’d be playing. Jackson said he paid close attention to what was said in the media and, based on what he read, he thought he wouldn’t see the field.

But in the first quarter, he and Adams made their debuts on the same drive. Adams finished that series with a four-yard touchdown run in which he toppled over a defender and hoisted the ball into the end zone.

In some ways, Babers and Syracuse used the bowl game as a trial run for the transfers to face contact and exemplify their knowledge of the SU system.

“If they get out there and they can’t process it fast enough, they can’t go,” Babers said. “It’s as simple as that. It doesn’t matter. They can’t go and they’ve got to wait till next year.”

Jackson’s touchdown wound-up being his lone catch of the game and Adams’ two touchdowns were the highlight of an eight carry, 19-yard performance. And though perhaps not under its main function, the new redshirt rule provided its main service: Opportunity.

“Me and Abdul worked our butts off all year with the scout team, giving them the best looks we can possible,” Jackson said. “So it was kind of like a reward for us to be able to play.”