on campus

Car crashes into Walnut Hall

Gabe Stern | Asst. News Editor

The car crashed into a window on the first floor of Walnut Hall.

At least two students will be temporarily displaced after a car became unlatched from a tow truck, rolled down Marshall Street and crashed into Walnut Hall on Thursday morning.

Syracuse University sophomores A.J. Santosuosso and Bryan Hudnell, said they will temporarily live in DellPlain Hall until their current room is repaired. The two live on the first floor of Walnut Hall, next to where the car crashed.

Santosuosso and Hudnell will be relocated for about a week, but will have full access to their room except for sleeping purposes, they said. Several people on the scene said the accident took place between 11 a.m. and noon.

59362343973__d768ae79-6248-4e41-aa83-afb407a02d72

Damage on the inside of a Walnut Hall dorm. Courtesy of A.J. Santosuosso

Santosuosso said he was asleep when he heard a “giant crash and (something) shattered” around 11:15 a.m. He saw his Brita fly across his room.

“I was like ‘Oh no, something from my desk fell down’ and there was a car,” Santosuosso said. “And I was like ‘oh man, that is rough.”

Hudnell was in a four-hour class at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications when the crash happened. At the end of the class, he looked at his phone and had 30 to 40 messages in a group chat. Others told him a car hit their window.

The two smiled about the situation while talking to university officials outside of Walnut Hall, just over an hour after the crash occurred.

“As long as there’s no damage or we’re not moved for the year, I think there’s excitement more than anything else,” Santosuosso said.