Syracuse quarterback Tommy DeVito enters transfer portal

Courtesy of Robert Willett | The News & Observer

Tommy DeVito immediately faced competition for the starting job when Garrett Shrader announced his decision to transfer to SU last December.

Syracuse quarterback Tommy DeVito announced Sunday night he’s entering the transfer portal, according to a post on his Twitter. The Cedar Grove, New Jersey, native was the Orange’s starting quarterback in 2019, 2020 and for the first three games of this season, but he lost the starting job to Garrett Shrader ahead of SU’s game against Liberty. DeVito has one year of eligibility left.

“I have to do what’s best for me, and it is with a heavy heart that I am announcing that I will be entering the transfer portal,” DeVito tweeted.

DeVito arrived at Syracuse as a heralded, 4-star prospect who was ranked one of the top ten pro-style quarterbacks by ESPN and 247 Sports. After redshirting in 2017 he sat behind Eric Dungey in 2018, coming off the bench in eight games as the lead backup. DeVito finished the season with 525 passing yards, and he filled in for Dungey in key wins against Florida State and UNC.

After Dungey graduated in 2018, DeVito became the natural successor at quarterback, and SU was ranked in the preseason AP Top 25 poll. But DeVito led the Orange to a disappointing 5-7 record after starting in 11 games. He threw for 2,360 yards and 19 touchdown passes, tying Ryan Nassib and Donavan McNabb for the most TD passes by a sophomore in program history.

In his junior season last year, DeVito started the first four games of the season before suffering a season-ending leg injury against Duke. The Orange didn’t win another game the rest of the season after head coach Dino Babers tried to replace DeVito with backups Rex Culpepper and Jacobian Morgan. DeVito finished the season with 593 yards and four touchdown passes.

DeVito immediately faced competition for the starting job when Shrader announced his decision to transfer to SU last December. The two went through a battle for the job during training camp, but DeVito kept his starting spot due in part to his preexisting knowledge of the offense, Babers said.

After leading the Orange to a 29-9 win over Ohio, DeVito struggled against Rutgers, and Syracuse’s offense recorded just seven points after the quarterback threw for 149 yards on 15-for-26 throwing.

Against UAlbany, DeVito threw only nine passes before being replaced by Shrader. The following week, SU took on Liberty and Babers made the move to start Shrader instead. DeVito said on ESPN radio that he was “shocked” about the decision.

The Mississippi State transfer brought a more run-heavy style to the offense, and he led the Orange to a 24-21 win. Shrader also found success running against Florida State and Wake Forest, but he struggled against Clemson. Babers hasn’t given DeVito any snaps since the UAlbany game on Sept. 18.

DeVito becomes the third notable Syracuse player to enter the transfer portal, following wide receiver Taj Harris — DeVito’s go-to receiver in 2019 and 2020 — and running back Jarveon Howard.