SU Athletics

SU announces $150 million initiative for Manley Field House renovations

Courtesy of Syracuse University Athletics.

While the target amount of donations hasn’t been reached yet, SU said it will release additional renovation projects to the athletic complex as donations are secured.

Syracuse University athletics announced that it will seek an additional $150 million in a fundraising campaign as part of its Forever Orange Campaign initiative to transform Manley Field House into the John A. Lally Athletics Complex, an “athletics village” aimed at benefiting SU athletes and their academic success.

Director of Athletics John Wildhack said the revamped location will improve recruiting and increase retention for the university.

“As a department, we are competing to attract the most talented student-athletes from around the nation and globe,” Wildhack said in an SU News release. “Creating an unprecedented student-athlete experience will require equally unprecedented donor support for those who choose to wear Orange.”

Lally, a former Syracuse lineman and 1982 graduate, and his wife donated $25 million to begin the project, which will be completely funded by private philanthropy, the release reads.

“John was an offensive lineman here between ’79 and ’81, Laura, his wife — they’ve done so much, and they’ve put pen to paper to get this thing started,” Syracuse head coach Dino Babers said at his weekly press conference. “We’re really excited about where this is going to be headed.”

The university announced the project after its $1.5 billion “Forever Orange” campaign surpassed $1.052 billion, and the athletics department is seeking the extra money to capitalize on that momentum, according to the release.

While the target amount of donations hasn’t been reached yet, SU will announce additional renovation projects to the athletic complex as it secures donations, the release reads. The university is planning to create a new Football Operations Center and a One Team Center — a facility to be utilized by the Olympic sports teams on campus.