Graduate Students

17 SU departments earn Research Excellence Doctoral Funding

Emily Steinberger | Editor-in-chief

SU’s chemistry, civil and environmental engineering, geography and English departments have won the funding for the first time this year.

Syracuse University’s Graduate School announced the 17 academic departments that won Research Excellence Doctoral Funding for the next three academic years.

The funding, which will be provided annually for three years starting in the 2022-23 academic year, was awarded to the departments that offer doctoral degrees, according to an SU News release Monday.

A graduate program director or a designated person prepares the application for the funding in collaboration with the department chair, according to the program’s website. The program will fund 32 academic-year fellowships and research assistantships to new and continuing doctoral students in the awarded departments, according to the release.

Applications were reviewed by senior leaders from each school and college applicants, members of the Graduate School leadership team, Dean of the Graduate School Peter Vanable and interim Vice President of Research Ramesh Raina. Raina will later be replaced at the position by a permanent candidate chosen by a newly formed search committee.

The decisions were based on current indicators of program quality and how the departments proposed increasing the number of doctorates conferred and supporting the recruitment and retention of diverse doctoral students, the release said.

SU’s chemistry, civil and environmental engineering, geography and English departments have won the funding for the first time this year. All university departments that offer doctoral degrees can reapply for additional funding from the program after 2025.

“Doctoral education is an essential part of our mission,” Vanable said in the release. “I am impressed by the thoughtful proposals for growing doctoral degree conferrals and recruiting and retaining diverse doctoral candidates.”

Here is the full list of SU departments that received the funding for 2022-25:

Seventeen academic departments at SU received Research Excellence Doctoral Funding for 2022-2025.

Maya Goosmann | Digital Design Director