Columns

3 possible restaurants to make Marshall Street more appealing

Surya Vaidy | Staff Photographer

The addition of Rita’s Italian Ice, an authentic Northeastern deli and a Chick-fil-A would revitalize Marshall Street, benefiting students and the community.

Many Syracuse University students got their wishes answered when they returned for the spring semester with the opening of Lucy Blu Island Bar and Club, a bar on Marshall Street, replacing the beloved DJ’s on The Hill. Marshall Street is already a go-to spot for students to get a bite to eat, with pizza places, an Indian restaurant, a tea shop and a few other well known places. Nevertheless, there is always room for improvement. Although there are many good options to decide between, there are three clear choices that students would benefit from.

The first is Rita’s Italian Ice. Even in snowy Syracuse, who doesn’t love a nice cold treat? Rita’s Italian Ice isn’t the restaurant that most students would think of having on Marshall Street, but it could definitely thrive in this location. Syracuse is associated with snow and sub-zero temperatures, but during the few months during graduation, over the summer and orientation, it can get quite hot.

On those sweltering early fall and late spring days, a nice cool cup of italian ice or custard would definitely hit the spot. Throughout the winter months, while it obviously wouldn’t be anything like it is during summer, it would likely still remain busy as many students would enjoy it after class or on the weekends with friends.

Another useful addition would be an authentic Northeastern deli, as a sizable number of SU students coming from New York, New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania. Delis are a Northeastern staple, and a classic deli would give those students a way to feel at home while they’re eating a quality sandwich. From an Italian sub to macaroni salad, it would no doubt be a hit among students. This also has the opportunity to provide a small business a major platform and gain some traction in a very busy area.

Lastly, a Chick-fil-A would be a huge improvement to Marshall Street. The popular fast food giant, famous for its chicken sandwich, would bring notoriety and a lot of business to the area. The closest Chick-fil-A to campus currently is about 12 miles away in the northern suburb of Cicero, which is unreachable to SU students and Syracuse residents who do not have cars.

It is undeniable that Chick-fil-A is one of the most popular fast food restaurants in the country, despite them having some of the most restrictive policies to own a franchise and only approves less than 1% of all franchisee applications. A reason for optimism in this regard is that Chick-fil-A partnered with SU in 2018, meaning the university already has a relationship with the restaurant which could entice them to have a location close to campus.

Although Marshall Street is a hub for SU students and locals alike, the addition of Lucy Blu’s should have people wanting more out of an essential part of the SU area.

Dalton Baxter is a sophomore applied data analytics major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at [email protected].