Screentime Column

5 movies to fill your free time over spring break

Daily Orange File Illustration

Each film on the list is available to stream on either Netflix, Kanopy or HBO Max.

Many college students think of spring break as a week to go somewhere warm and let loose, whether it’s a beach in Florida or an all-inclusive resort in Cabo. For others, however, it is just a much-needed time to relax and escape the busy life of being a student.

Both types of people have different plans, yet they share the same quality: downtime to watch a movie. The traveler might be in their Airbnb or hotel with some time to spare before their dinner reservations, and the student takes it easy is always looking for something to sit back and relax with. Because of this, here are five movies perfect for spring break.

“Caddyshack” (1980)

One of the most iconic movies of the 20th century, “Caddyshack” follows the lives of many unique characters during their summer at a prestigious country club. Starring three of the most famous comedians of the ‘80s — Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield and Bill Murray — the movie is a hilarious look at the wild things that can happen in a summer when people from all walks of life come together. The movie is set in the summer, so it sports sunny scenes and lots of golfing, which just might inspire you to get out on the green during your break. Whether you’re traveling or staying home, this movie is the gold standard for comedy, and it will have you laughing no matter where you are.

“The Hangover” (2009)

Following “Caddyshack,” “The Hangover” is one of the most iconic movies of the 21st century. This movie caters to those out partying at a resort, or anyone on a vacation, really, because of the wild Las Vegas hotel, exotic animals and desert landscapes. Three men are caught in a wild ride to find their missing friend, who just happens to be the groom in a wedding the next day. The movie will have you laughing from beginning to end, and it will make you want to enjoy your spring break just as much as the guys did during their bachelor party. This is a hilarious film perfect for anyone, and more importantly, for spring break.

The Harry Potter collection

Spring break is a week long, and if students don’t have too much work, there will be plenty of time to spare. A perfect way to use this availability is to partake in a Harry Potter marathon. These films are familiar favorites to many and perfect to rewatch, and for the people who have never seen the classic magical movies, they’re a must-watch this break. Available on HBO Max, all of the Harry Potter movies, including other specials and movie versions, can be watched, allowing for multiple days designated to experiencing the Wizarding World. If you haven’t seen the movies yet, it is a great world to become a part of over break, and if you have seen them, you know you won’t have any issue experiencing the magic all over again.

“Glengarry Glen Ross” (1992)

Many people can agree that when you’re bored, you will never turn down watching a new, great movie. And during spring break, free time is likely all you have, so a perfect movie to watch during that time is “Glengarry Glen Ross.” Starring film legend Al Pacino, who was nominated for an Oscar for his role, the movie follows the cutthroat reality of a real estate office pressured to get results. With great performances from Pacino and Alec Baldwin, the movie has snappy dialogue and tense scenes that will keep you entertained throughout. If you are looking for a movie you haven’t seen and want to be impressed, this is a great choice.

“The Florida Project” (2017)

Another movie set in the summer, perfect for spring break and warm weather, the film “The Florida Project” follows a 6-year-old girl and her friends living in a Florida motel, all while dealing with life, a rebellious mother and the lure of the nearby Walt Disney World. Willem Dafoe puts up an Oscar-nominated performance in this movie that shows the harsh yet true realities of growing up. While the movie is a drama, it does have lots of lighthearted scenes that will keep you attached to the characters of the film. This movie is a mix between a warm, bright atmosphere and a realistic story, a perfect mix for spring break.