Columns

The dangers of Fraternities on campus heavily outweigh their benefits

Francis Tang | Asst. News Editor

Fraternities aren't going anywhere, but the troubling issues surrounding them like hazing and sexual assault show they need structural change.

Greek life has been a focal point for many colleges and universities, and issues surrounding hazing and sexual assualt have made it all the way to national news. Fraternities in particular have been the subject of debate amongst Syracuse University and other colleges across the country. Although the idea of Greek life is great — a brotherhood or sisterhood aimed at social and philanthropic causes to better themselves and the ones around them — they cause too much unnecessary harm.

A Los Angeles Times columnist Jean Guerrero recalls the time she partied at a Greek organization. “Men ogled and appraised us. They cornered women who stumbled in drunkenness,” she wrote.

Guerrero said she felt safer on the streets of Los Angeles, even knowing of incidents of violent crime. Further, a University of Oregon study found that sorority members are three times more likely to report attempted or completed rape than women who aren’t members of sororities.

These numerous accounts of sexual assault can be caused by hazing, another issue in Greek life. Hazing is a way to force prospective members to perform strenuous, humiliating or dangerous tasks to prove someone’s alliance or commitment to their Greek organization. Certainly the concept can be fun and purposeful, however, hazing is often taken too far.

One study shows that there is a direct correlation between hazing and low self-esteem, as well as intimidation and humiliation. Not surprisingly, the same study found that fraternities are more accepting of alcohol overdose than sororities or non-greek life students. A tie between the deaths of many college students and hazing raises the question: is Greek life worth it?

The truth is, Greek life is unlikely to change. Greek life brings in too much money for universities to suspend the organizations for good. In addition, university administrations know that if Greek life is kicked off campuses officially, former chapters will likely start unofficial chapters, maybe even in the same houses.

Keeping Greek life on campus allows the university to regulate and control the behavior and actions of its students involved in Greek life. Universities don’t always do a good job, but they seem to think they do. Unfortunately, it feels like that’s all that matters to them.

Because Greek life isn’t going anywhere, the next best solution is to redesign its culture.

One important change that would benefit non-Greek life students would be to allow men to attend fraternity afterparties. This could help reduce sexual assault incidents on campus, as well as positively benefit the social aspect of college. One article suggests that only allowing girls to enter frat parties is because fraternity brothers want a “pick of the litter.”

The writer said that, “from what I have seen, fraternities often implement ratios as high as 5:1. The way I look at it, this is a disrespectful approach and is completely unethical.”

Greek life must also encourage a safe initiation process, hazing that isn’t designed to hurt the prospective member but rather to encourage a strong passion for the organization as well as to build a healthy relationship between the current and prospective members.

Instead of forcing a student to try a dangerous drug, for instance, Greek organizations should just ask them to stay and clean up a party. Hazing fosters an uncomfortable situation that could jeopardize the future of the organization and their reputation. Activities such as cleaning up allows Greek organizations to get a feeling for pledges’ loyalty, commitment and devotion to the organization.

This would mean that hazing would be just as effective in its goal but much safer for students throughout universities. Forcing students into uncomfortable situations doesn’t help anyone, but it is too consistent with what I see at SU. It’s important for students to realize the magnitude of their actions in Greek life and beyond.

Aiden Walsh is a freshman finance major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at [email protected].