Coronavirus

SU returning to ‘YELLOW’ masking level effective June 1

Meghan Hendricks | Senior Staff Photgrapher

Under the “YELLOW” alert level, masks are recommended for unvaccinated students, faculty, staff and visitors indoors while in the presence of others and outdoors when in large groups.

Syracuse University will return to a “YELLOW” COVID-19 alert level starting June 1, said Vice Chancellor Mike Haynie, in an SU News release Friday.

The change is a downgrade from the “BLUE” alert level, which went into effect on April 19. The Onondaga County Health Department recently reported a significant decline in COVID-19 cases throughout central New York, which contributed to the decision, Haynie said.

Under the “YELLOW” alert level, masks are recommended for vaccinated students, faculty, staff and visitors indoors in the presence of others and outdoors  in large groups. Masks are not required in classrooms for those who are vaccinated.

Unvaccinated students, faculty, staff and visitors are still required to mask indoors at all times and outdoors in the presence of others.

The New York State Department of Health is continuing to require people to wear a mask on public transit and when visiting health care facilities regardless of their vaccination status. Haynie clarified in the release that this requirement includes SU’s shuttles and the Barnes Center at The Arch.