Fast React

Maura Healey marks history as the 1st openly lesbian governor elected

Courtesy of Healey's Campaign

Democrat Maura Healey’s recent election victory as Massachusetts’s governor is not only a victory for the Democratic party, but for the LGBTQ+ community as a whole.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

On Nov. 8, Massachusetts elected the country’s first openly lesbian governor to office during the country’s heavily anticipated midterm elections. The Associated Press called Democrat Maura Healey’s win in the race against Republican Geoff Diehl after she received more than 63 percent of the over two million reported votes. Healey’s election is not only a victory for the Democratic party but for the LGBTQ+ community as a whole.

Prior to her win, Healey served as the first openly lesbian Attorney General. She also led the country’s first successful challenge against the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, which had blocked recognition of same-sex marriages on the federal level.

While the election of Governor Healey marks a turning point in American history, it is still important to acknowledge the advocacy and work performed by individuals who fought for LGBTQ+ rights throughout our nation’s history – especially during a time where the stigma around the queer community was higher than ever before. As we celebrate this victory, it is important to reflect on the long line of activists that fought for this moment to one day happen.

The representation that comes from having an openly lesbian governor in office is crucial for young members of the LGBTQ+ community to see, which is a view Healey does not take lightly. While addressing a crowd upon the call of her victory, she dedicated her win to young women and members of the queer community around the world.

“I hope tonight shows you that you can be whatever, whoever you want to be,” Healey said to supporters during her speech. The inspiration that will undoubtedly spread throughout the queer community is a victory within itself.

The representation that comes from having an openly lesbian governor in office is crucial for young members of the LGBTQ+ community to see, which is a view Healey does not take lightly.
Grace ‘Gray’ Reed

Representation in all forms of life is critical if we want to ensure members of the LGBTQ community live up to their fullest potential. The Trevor Project reported in their 2022 National Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health that 74 percent of LGBTQ youth felt better about their identities after seeing important figures come out as LGBTQ. This validation of queer identities by well-known members of the public is necessary, as the same survey reported that 45 percent of LGBTQ+ youth seriously considering attempting suicide in the past year, with 14 percent actually attempting. This is frequently the result of feeling unsupported by family and friends, as well as feeling out of place in society. Representation, especially in positions of powers, give hope to queer youth that they too can make something of their lives and that their identity should not be a roadblock in doing so.

The benefits of her win simply do not stop at uplifting queer spirits. Those in office need to hold similar views to Healey, including her stance on the expansion of LGBTQ+ rights as well as reproductive freedoms. Following the reversal of Roe v. Wade by the United States Supreme Court back in June, it is clear officials holding public office need to work to ensure abortion rights remain accessible to all communities who may need one. Healey has made it clear that she will work to ensure these rights in the state of Massachusetts.

Healey’s election to office is not only a win for the LGBTQ+ community, but also for the entire state of Massachusetts. But this victory should not overshadow further work that needs to be done. It is vital that individuals who find themselves in positions of power continue to advocate on behalf of advancing the fight for LGBTQ+ equality in our country.

Grace “Gray” Reed is a Sophomore magazine, news and digital journalism major. Their column appears bi-weekly. They can be reached at [email protected].