SU Athletics

Former Syracuse athletic director Jake Crouthamel dies at age 84

Courtesy of Kim Kisner Begley

Jake Crouthamel oversaw a national title in men's basketball, eight national titles in men's lacrosse, 12 football bowl appearances and 22 overall Big East Conference championships.

John “Jake” Crouthamel, Syracuse’s former Athletic Director of 27 years, died Monday at 84 years old, according to Syracuse Athletics. During his tenure at Syracuse, he oversaw a national title in men’s basketball, eight national titles in men’s lacrosse, 12 football bowl appearances and 22 overall Big East conference championships. He was also instrumental in the creation of the Big East in 1979.

In 1999, Crouthamel won the National Football Foundation’s John L. Toner Award for dedication to college athletics. In 2007, he also received the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) James Lynah Distinguished Achievement Award. In 2008, he was inducted into the National Association of Collegiate Athletic Directors (NACDA) Hall of Fame.

After graduating from Dartmouth in 1960, the American Football League’s Los Angeles drafted Crouthamel in the league’s first ever draft before signing with the Dallas Cowboys, an NFL expansion team. He was the last player cut by the Cowboys during the preseason, prompting him to play for the AFL’s Boston Patriots during their inaugural campaign.

Crouthamel spent six years as a Dartmouth assistant football coach, winning four Ivy League championships — including two where the team went undefeated — before earning the Big Green’s head coaching position in 1971. From 1971-77, his teams compiled a record of 41-20-2 while earning three Ivy League championships. In 1973, he was recognized as the New England and NCAA District I Coach of the Year.

Prior to his arrival at Syracuse, Crouthamel starred as a two-way halfback for Dartmouth, leading the Ivy League in rushing in 1958 when he set a Dartmouth single-season rushing record of 722 yards on 123 carries. He led the team in rushing for three seasons and was named to the All-Ivy League first team in his final two campaigns. He wrapped up his playing career with 1,763 rushing yards, a total that stood as Dartmouth’s record for over a decade and currently ranks sixth all-time.

Crouthamel is survived by Carol, his wife of 61 years; two daughters, Lisa (Jim) Evans and Christie Falkenburg; and four grandsons, John and Owen Evans as well as Ted and Jake Falkenburg.