Ducks

Duck: Kyle Chouinard

Asst. News Editor | Fall 2021, Spring 2022 ; News Editor | Fall 2022

Emma Lee | Contributing Illustrator

On a date I now don’t remember, I spent what felt like 20 minutes gripping the metal bannister outside of 230 Euclid Avenue. With panicked breathing, I had lost control of my legs and my arms were shaking.

Remembering that night, I’m struck by the stupid thought I had while being helped by Rachel Raposas (your fantastic incoming managing editor) who forced me to drink water.

“What kind of news editor has panic attacks?”

Now, wrapped up with my time as The Daily Orange’s news editor, I offer this as my one simple piece of advice: you’re more human than journalist; shit happens!

I don’t have many words to thank a lot of people, so onto the fun part!

Richard Chang: Thanks for being the reason I got into this mess. That fall, I learned what news’ culture could be: fun and safe, while tough and serious. I came into the house quiet and you helped me get comfortable. Thanks for teaching me about whisky at 3 a.m. following coverages I didn’t want to take.

Emily Steinberger: You were the first person who made me understand that it was okay to acknowledge the tolls of journalism. This industry can be brutal! Thanks for making me feel comfortable with that fact. While I worked at The D.O., I was figuring out a lot about myself. Thanks for hearing my ramblings after prodo when no rational person was awake.

Karoline Leonard: Oklahoma, man … what an odd place. While I have continued to gaslight myself over the past year over Long Island’s booming agricultural industry, I don’t think I’ve worked with a more skillful journalist than you. This year’s staff knows my harsh opinions on passive voice. I still tell them it’s your fault. Thanks for pushing me to be better. 

Francis Tang: As you wrote last semester, you’re one helluva person to cover a protest with it. Keep being the killer writer/photog combo that you are.

Lilli Ianella: A lot of people listen, but not many people actively listen. I’ve ranted to you when I’ve been angry about my place at the paper and wanted to quit. Instead of the “mhm’s” and “yea’s,” you gave pure thoughtfulness. Thanks for being awesome. I know you’ll love Europe.

Maya Goosmann: You may not know it, but your LiveIn was a lifesaver this semester. I would be angrily texting while swiping between apps to coordinate interviews and see the weirdest, most out-of-nowhere meme on my screen that made me pause for a second. I needed those pauses. You’re one of the kindest people I’ve ever met even away in Denmark, or Italy, or wherever you’re drinking wine this week. Can’t wait for you to be back on campus.

Hank O’Brien: Admittedly, BDJ sports men don’t have the best reputation. But, you’ve managed to buck every stereotype that my time in MND has given me. You’re caring, passionate and know how to write a good movie review. You also, in my opinion, do not give yourself enough credit as one of the best sports journalists at Syracuse University. When you’re DME, don’t forget your passions outside the office’s walls, you’ll need them.

Meghan Hendricks: There are few people (and I don’t mean this in an emo way) that I feel get me. You, Meghan Hendricks, get me. Understand that what you do for other people is seen and is more than they’d ever ask for. Your return to this office shows how insane you are and how much you love this place. To more s’mores!

Morgan Sample: I would insert all the insane emojis you send me, but I don’t have enough space. When approaching deadline, I’ve never seen someone work so effortlessly through InDesign’s terrible functionality. You’ve led a paper through arguably its hardest ever when it comes to print design and did so with grace. Remember, the square = opportunities.

Megan Thompson: I am so incredibly happy that I now understand the odd, odd world of communication design. Specifically, how you’re using it to save the world. While I joke about that, I really do have no doubt you’ll use your design prowess to help others. What that help is? That’s up to you.

Shantel Guzman: While I will never forgive you for your betrayal, I’ve seen that it’s done a lot of good for you. Your work in the culture section is spectacular, and I know a lot of people at The D.O. look up to you. Thanks for gossiping with me and sorry I yelled at you and Karoline that one time that, to this day, I do not remember.

Dom “The Man That Never Stops” Chiappone: This isn’t to inflate your ego, but I would not have survived this semester without a staff writer as dependable as you. Even with deadlines that feel impossible, you approached every story with an enthusiasm that I don’t think anyone comes close to. Bring that enthusiasm to the newsroom next semester, it always needs it!

Grace Katz: While I may not have the same fascination with Formula1 fanfic, I have really enjoyed talking to you about my new favorite sport this semester. Moving from copy to digital, you’ve surpassed all expectations this semester. Keep being you because only you know how to do it.

Alice Liu: Sorry for only realizing how cool your shoes are late into the semester. Your laugh is infectious, and I can’t wait to see what you do with the rest of your time at Syracuse University. Thanks for the big book!

Sydney Rothstein: Coming into The D.O. as a freshman? That’s hard. Coming into The D.O. in the middle of the semester? That’s hard. You, my friend, did both. Thanks for being the smiley balance when I’m bringing the room down with sarcasm.

Luisana Ortiz: From one Masayoshi Takanaka fan to another, thanks for speaking to me about weird music and headbanging to System of a Down to finish out a production night. You have such a compassion for your subjects, and it comes out in all the a1s you wrote for news this semester. While you’re leaving as well, I hope you keep writing.

Siron Thomas: Forever my DME and forever the one who got us to 11k followers on Instagram. When this place gets ridiculously stressful, I know I have you to laugh about the nonsense of it all. Keep bringing that comforting energy. I know (I KNOW) your staff loves you for it. 

Maggie Hicks: The first story I edited was yours. I’m pretty sure every suggestion I put in you rejected. Since then, I’d like to think I’ve become a better editor! Thanks for coming back to The D.O. to fill in arguably the hardest position in the entirety of the paper.

Richard Perrins: Richard, there is not another person I’ve worked with as closely as you. Whether it be 2 a.m. calls from Richard Chang dragging us to your future apartment or bullying Karoline, I’ve really enjoyed working with you. You’ve got one more semester, and you’ve already solidified yourself as an EIC people will look to in the future as a benchmark.

Anish Vasudevan: A sports king! News and Sports are across the hall on the second floor, and it’s been a joy hearing your iconic laugh echo through the building. Bring the energy and DJ skills wherever you go.

Rainu George: I don’t think anyone else heard more of my complaining than you. While I know Op and News are supposed to be polar opposites, I hope we’re able to collaborate on a project sometime soon, wherever and whenever that is.

Rachel Raposas: For a writer, I’m quick to admit I’m bad with properly expressing my emotions. I think you’ve figured that one out already though. The care you have for your staff is something I strive for. Your actions, no matter how small you make them sound, mean so much to so many people. I don’t know what this house is without you, and I hope everyone realizes how lucky they are to have you as a managing editor. Keep giggling, keep laying on the floor, keep caring, keep texting people making sure they made it home safe.

Anthony, Hameré & Cole: Being a HeadEd can be brutal and a lot of the small work you do will be thankless. Understand that the thankless, small work is the foundation for your section. Don’t forget to have fun; you’re not paid enough to lose your mind!

Katie McClellan: While our time working together was cut short, that time was a joy. Turning a coverage of an honors thesis project into a fantastic report regarding VPA students’ lack of physical therapy access was brilliant. I was so, so very excited to learn that you’re coming back to the News section next semester. You’re gonna kill it.

Brittany Miller: Despite my jokes about your previous internship (which I now cannot make fun of), you are one hell of a journalist. Thanks for turning around stories that I know weren’t always the most exciting. I know the newsroom is happy that you’re coming back as a copy editor.

Stephanie Wright: Stephanie, from the moment you pulled me aside to talk about becoming an assistant, I knew that you would be fantastic in the position. You are one of the most driven people I have ever met. Thanks for being someone I could lean on when my budget was falling apart.

Jana Seal: The ultimate girlboss. You were exactly what this news section needed for this semester: a cool head that checks me when I’m about to do something stupid. I’ll avoid being sappy, but I could not have asked for a better person to take over this hectic, insane job next semester. I wrote it once, but remember that you’re a human before you’re a journalist.

My parents and Dylan: This job has made me do a lot of crazy things. I promise, for now, it’s over. Thanks for understanding why I do this because I am so infinitely lucky to have your support. Mom: I love it when you like my tweets. Dad: I always need advice and I always appreciate yours. Dylan: you’re a light with memes that have an incalculable impact. I love you all.