State

Former Secretary of Education John B. King Jr. named next SUNY chancellor

Sarah Lee I Daily Orange File Photo

John B. King Jr. was chosen to replace Deborah Stanley as the next chancellor of The State University of New York system Monday morning.

The State University of New York system named former United States Secretary of Education John B. King, Jr. as its next chancellor Monday morning.

“Public education quite literally saved my life when I lost both of my parents at a young age,” King wrote in a SUNY press release. “I have dedicated my professional career ever since to ensuring that every student has access to the academic opportunities that they need and deserve.”

King will replace Deborah Stanley, who worked as the system’s interim chancellor after former-Chancellor Jim Malatras resigned. Malatras mocked a staffer who accused former-Governor Andrew Cuomo of sexual assault. Since the announcement, education officials and politicians across New York state welcomed King into the SUNY system, which is the U.S.’s largest public university system.

In an email to The Daily Orange, SUNY ESF President Joanie Mahoney wrote that the school’s community is “honored” to welcome King.

“His commitment to excellence and equity within education will continue to elevate SUNY’s mission to ensure everyone has access to education that is high-quality (sic) and affordable,” Mahoney wrote.

In the press release announcing his hiring, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) called King “just what SUNY needs.”

Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY), who fellow Democrats nominated to be House minority leader on Wednesday, sat on SUNY’s search committee that eventually chose King. As a SUNY Binghamton alumni, Jeffries called the job an honor.

“As a child of New York, product of our public schools and educator and public servant, John King has the vision, intellect, experience and expertise needed to lead the system into the future,” Jeffries said.

From 2011 to 2014, King served as New York state’s education commissioner. During his tenure, the New York State United Teachers issued a vote of “no confidence,” claiming he rushed the implementation of the national education standards within Common Core, Chalkbeat New York reported.

King is currently the president of The Education Trust, a nonprofit organization advocating for the “academic achievement of all students — particularly those of color or living in poverty,” according to the organization’s website.

King most recently ran in Maryland’s gubernatorial race, coming in 5th place with 3.71% of the vote in the Democratic 2022 Gubernatorial Primary. Jefferies said King’s previous experience will inform his future work as the chancellor of SUNY.

“While serving as Secretary of Education, we had the chance to partner to expand college affordability, increase financial aid as well as invest in student success and completion,” Jeffries wrote in the SUNY press release. “I know he will carry this work forward in his new work and congratulate John on his appointment.”

Two education unions, New York State United Teachers and United University Professors, said they looked forward to working with King but emphasized the importance of a fully-funded SUNY system.

“We will work with Chancellor King to ensure that our campuses and the educators serving on them receive the critical funding and support they deserve as we continue to push toward a common goal: Making sure every New Yorker has access to an affordable and exceptional public education,” NYSUT President Andy Pallotta wrote in the organization’s press release.

Frederick Kowal, the president of UUP, said the organization hopes that King will act as a strong advocate for SUNY.

“UUP shares Dr. King’s commitment to equity and excellence for all students and making a college education affordable and accessible,” Kowal wrote in a UUP press release.
“These are attributes we believe SUNY’s new chancellor must have to be effective.”

Malatras, SUNY’s previous chancellor, resigned in early December 2021. Two weeks prior, New York Attorney General Letitia James released text messages from Malatras mocking Lindsey Boylan, who in 2021 accused then-Governor Andrew Cuomo of sexual harassment.

In a 2019 group chat with fellow Cuomo aides, Malatras wrote “Malatras to Boylan: Go f*ck yourself.” He also called to release “some of her cray emails!” after a colleague said she was taking drugs, Inside Higher Ed reported. Following Malatras’ resignation, Stanley served as interim chancellor while the SUNY committee sought a permanent replacement.

Looking ahead, King said he is honored to help advance Gov. Kathy Hochul’s vision for the SUNY system.

“I look forward to working with all members of our campus communities, lawmakers and stakeholders to bring SUNY to new heights and maximize its potential,” he wrote.